Girl on the Hill
Sadie, Girl on the Hill
Girl on the Hill is young singer-songwriter, Sadie Mustoe, who is astounding audiences with her outstanding musicianship and unique indie-folk songs. With a musical maturity that belies her years, Sadie (14) accompanies herself on the guitar, ukulele, violin and keyboard.
In March of this year, Sadie was a winning finalist in the 'Music Count Us In' songwriting competition run by Music Australia. Sadie, along with four other young songwriters, joined John Foreman and Taylor Henderson to write a song that was performed by over half a million Australian school children in November.
In 2014, at the age of 10, Sadie won the Minstrel Award for song-writing and performance at the Maldon Folk Festival, the youngest to win the prize in its 10 year history. This was to be the start of Sadie’s recording career. She was helped to create an album of songs in 2015 funded by her award and mixed by Mark Woods of Bald Hill Studio. Sadie raised additional funds through her own crowd-sourcing campaign.
In 2016 she won the The Basin Music Festival Youth Award and a prize of $1,000 of recording time with David Carr of Rangemaster. This project is in preparation and will see the development of Sadie's first radio-quality recording in early 2018.
“The amazing new kid on the block, Sadie and her band. She's an inspiration!”, Lucy Wise
“Sadie has a big future ahead of her”, Pam Lyons, Director Maldon Folk Festival
Over the last few years she has performed at numerous festivals around Victoria including the National Celtic Festival (2016), Maldon Folk Festival (2014, 2015 & 2017), Newstead Live! (2015 & 2016), Knox Festival, Surrey Hills Music Festival, Bendigo Blues & Roots Festiva and she's looking forward to appearing at Cygnet in January 2018l.
Sadie won the Junior section of The Basin Festival songwriting competition in 2017 with her song 'Every Moment' and Best Indie-Rock Song at the 2017 Kool Skools Awards for 'New Beginning'.
In 2016 Sadie collaborated with folk singer, Lucy Wise, for a series of concerts in the Dandenong Ranges and the two singers received an overwhelming response from their audiences. She has also performed alongside Co-Cheol (they arranged and performed one of her songs) and Declan Simpson from The Simpson Three.
Sadie will soon be performing fiddle with Fred Smith and as support act for The Belle Miners.
Sadie often performs and writes with another young songwriter from the Dandenong Ranges, Hannah Schmidli. Her brother Charlie is also brought onto the stage as drummer and harmony singer.
- Cygnet Folk Festival (2018)
- Bendigo BLues & Roots Festival (2017)
- Basin Music Festival (2017, 2016, 2015)
- National Celtic Festival (2016)
- Beechworth Celtic Festival (2016)
- Maldon Folk Festival (2017, 2015, 2014)
- Newstead Live! (2016 & 2015)
- Knox Festival (2016 & 2015)
- Stringybark Festival (2016, 2015)
- Emerald PAVE Festival (2016)
- Surrey Hills Music Festival (2015)
- 2017 Kool Skools - Best Indie-Rock Track. Also nominated for Best Female Vocalist.
- 2017 Winning finalist for Music Australia’s ‘Music Count Us In’. One of 5 young singer-songwriters to write the year's song with John Foreman and Taylor Henderson to be sung by half a million Australian school kids in November.
- 2017 The Basin Music Festival Songwriting Competition
- 2016 The Basin Music Festival Youth Award – prize of $1000 of recording time with Rangemasters.
- 2016 Nominated for ‘Best Indie Rock Track’ at Kool Skools 2016.
- 2015 Winner - Belgrave Busker’s Youth Award
- 2014 Maldon Folk Festival Minstrel Award – prize of recording time at Bald Hill Studios with Mark Woods.
- 2013 Emerald Ukulele Festival, best band – with The Patch Tags
Online Music and Videos:
On board the tall ship Enterprize at the National Celtic Festival in Portarlington.